David is the firm’s managing partner who also leads the business law department. David provides clients with practical day-to-day counsel on business matters. His practice is focused on business law, corporate mergers and acquisitions and insurance regulatory law. David represents businesses of all sizes in matters ranging from entity selection and formation to contract drafting and negotiation to mergers and acquisitions. He represents insurance companies with licensing, compliance and other issues before the North Carolina Department of Insurance. David is one of only two lawyers in the State of North Carolina who has earned membership into the Federation of Regulatory Counsel, a multi-national association of lawyers who have significant experience in the practice of insurance regulatory and corporate law. David has also served as general counsel to the North Carolina Surplus Lines Association since 2004.
Examples of recent mergers and acquisitions transactions ranging from $1 million to $100 million include the representation of:
- seller corporation and individual family members in the sale of the stock of a large building
supply company to a rollup buyer, including the sale of commercial property by related limited
liability companies and the filing of federal Hart-Scott-Rodino notification documents.
- buyers in connection with the purchase of the stock of a local construction and demolition
- buyer in the purchase of a North Carolina manufacturing subsidiary of a large company
divesting itself of the subsidiary line of business, including the formation of the purchasing
entities, preparation of the joint venture operating documents and related real estate holding
- buyer in the expansion of manufacturing operations including the purchase of operating facilities in
- buyer in the purchase of the stock of an insurance company subsidiary (and several related
companies) from a publicly traded seller, including the filing of Hart-Scott-Rodino notification
- seller of an automobile collision center with multiple locations, including related real property
sale and lease transactions.
- members of a large reinsurance intermediary, brokerage and capital market services company
in the sale of all of the company assets.
- owner of an established insurance brokerage business in the merger with a regional broker.
- insurance holding company buyer in the purchase of a large property and casualty insurance
company from a publicly traded seller, including the purchase of related subsidiary companies
and the filing of federal Hart-Scott-Rodino notification documents.
- buyer in the purchase of several waste transfer stations.
- seller of several dry cleaning businesses to various buyers over a period of several years.
- buyers and sellers in connection with various medical, dental and veterinary practices.
- insurance holding company buyer of a Texas specialty lines insurance company.
Publications & Presentations
David is a frequent contributor of insurance law topics and regulations published by the Federation of
Regulatory Counsel. He has been a guest lecturer at University of North Carolina Dental School –
“Purchase and Sale of Dental Practice and Associate Contracts and Commercial Leasing”